SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine— The Southern Maine Community College (SMCC) fall sport seasons have come to a close with many notable highlights both individual and team stemming from the success of the 2017 women’s soccer, men’s soccer, and golf programs.
Women’s Soccer: 4-2-1 YSCC, 6-5-1 overall
- First-year Callie O’Brien (South Portland, Maine) led all SeaWolves’ scorers with 10 goals and 21 points—finished tied for third in Yankee Small College Conference (YSCC) scoring.
- First-year goalkeeper Shae Couture (Rochester, N.H.) ranked a conference second in goals-against-average at 1.27 and fifth in save percentage posting a .794 mark spanning 11 games.
- Head Coach Julia Cyr picked up her 25th win of her four-year SMCC coaching career vs. Central Maine Community College on Oct. 10.
- The team ranked second in points (goals plus assists) (80) and goals (35) among conference opponents.
- O’Brien and first-year Jessica Haskell (Saco, Maine) named to YSCC All-Conference Team.
- Women’s Soccer played to a four-game win streak in September and made its third consecutive YSCC tournament appearance.
Men’s Soccer: 3-4-1 YSCC, 4-7-2 overall
- First-year Hanssen Casey (Eliot, Maine) and senior Senai Yenie (Portland, Maine) led the team in goals with five apiece, a combined 21 points.
- Senai tallied three game winners; junior defenseman and co-captain Jamal Durrani (Lebanon, Maine) a golden-goal header in a 1-0 double-overtime win at Unity College on Oct. 5.
- Team started 0-5, a -19 goal differential, but finished the season 3-1-1 with +4 goal differential.
- Durrani and first-year Thomas DuRivage (Stratford, Conn.) named to YSCC All-Conference Team.
- First-place finish at the University of Maine at Augusta Invitational on Sept. 30; three second-place finishes.
- First-year Hunter Carignan (Rollinsford, N.H.) posted lowest team average—86.0 spanning six rounds.
- Sophomore Kevin Dwyer (Hanover, N.H.) carded lowest SMCC score of the season– 81 at Val Halla (Cumberland, Maine).
- Carignan, Dwyer, and sophomore Seth Chim (Portland, Maine) each were top-three medalists in two matches.
- SMCC averaged a 365.8 score in four team scoring opportunities.
- SeaWolves Golf finished YSCC runners-up at the conference championship match for the second consecutive season.
- Head Coach Ethan Wells named YSCC Coach of the Year.